United Methodist Building Receptionist
The General Board of Church and Society of The United Methodist Church is the presence of the church on Capitol Hill in Washington, DC. GBCS is tasked with implementing the Social Principles, which contain stances taken on social and political issues by The United Methodist Church. The 2016 Book of Discipline of The United Methodist Church states that GBCS “shall show the members of the Church and the society that the reconciliation that God effected through Christ involves personal, social, and civic righteousness… (and shall) conduct programs to inform, motivate, train, organize, and build networks for action toward social justice throughout society, particularly on the specific issues prioritized by the board.”
- This person is the welcoming face of the United Methodist Building and the General Board of Church and Society (GBCS). Operates the GBCS switchboard and monitors the security of the front door from 9:00 AM to 5:00 PM weekdays. Responds to incoming calls by providing information or taking messages and referring calls to appropriate persons.
- Collaborates with staff and Building Management on building operations and scheduling of public events and building wide activities. Provides oversight of the conference rooms and first floor kitchen giving direction to the building and cleaning staff. Maintains schedule of conference rooms and chapel use and updates the directory of building activities daily.
- Receives and responds to short term use of intern spaces in 110 building. Provides completed contracts to Business office and CHRO.
- Responsible for setting up Audio Visual equipment for meetings in the two buildings. Collaborates with communications department on technology of the conference rooms.
- Creates and maintains conference room and parking yearly calendars. Serves as monitor for visitor parking areas.
- Maintains payment receipts and completes billing documents for Accounts Receivable and Accounts Payable.
- Assists with filing and some administrative work for Chief Human Resources Officer. Serves as back-up Service Department Assistant in processing mail.
- Contacts security and arranges for hospitality with groups using the United Methodist Building conference rooms.
The GBCS Receptionist is supervised by the Chief Human Resources Officer.
Skills and Experience
- High school diploma, some college is a plus.
- Knowledge of phone switchboard systems. Knowledge of basic Microsoft Office - Word, Outlook and PowerPoint.
- Experience in working with the public, good communication and people skills.
- Technical skills with Audio Visual and communication equipment is a plus.
- Highly organized with ability to manage a busy work environment.
Compensation for this position is commensurate with industry standards and personal experience $22-$24 per hour with overtime opportunities. This is a full-time non-exempt/hourly paid position. Retirement benefits, 15 days paid vacation, sick and personal leave, comprehensive medical, dental and accidental-death insurance; other benefits as outlined in the Employee Personnel Manual.
The General Board of Church and Society is an equal opportunity employer and considers applicants for all positions without regard to race, color, age, gender, national origin, disability, sexual orientation or any other legally protected status.
Procedure and Deadline:
To apply applicants must submit a cover letter, resume and writing sample by Friday, April 3, 2020.
Send to: Chief Human Resources Officer, firstname.lastname@example.org
The General Board of Church and Society
100 Maryland Ave NE
Washington, DC 20002
No agencies please.