Careers and Internships
Church and Society is always looking for talented, passionate people to join the team. Please find information about job openings and internships below.
Information about internships with Church and Society can be found here.
Organizing Program Coordinator
Organizing Program Coordinator Responsibilities
- Manage issue based, network, and annual conference organizing on GBCS priority issues.
- Lead grassroots organizing trainings to equip United Methodist teams in grassroots leadership on priorities issues relevant to their communities.
- Work in collaboration with Advocacy and Education and Leadership Formation staff on identifying and connecting with grassroots leaders in annual conferences who are actively engaged and impacted by injustices representative of GBCS legislative priorities.
- Build, nurture, and maintain relationships with grassroots leaders providing on the ground organizing support to teams and grassroots networks across the global church. The coordinator will engage local churches and recruit active United Methodists into relevant networks, campaigns, and actions.
- Develop training curriculum and resources for grassroots teams, conference groups, and United Methodist networks.
- In collaboration with Director of Organizing, oversee organizing communications—including but not limited to highlighting grassroots stories and producing articles or blog posts.
- Program coordinator will represent Church and Society and Director of Organizing in some denominational and coalition meetings.
- Full time, exempt position in Washington, DC with 20% Travel
The Organizing Program Coordinator is directly accountable to the Director of Organizing.
Skills and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree required, Master’s degree preferred in community organizing, social justice, theology, or related field.
- 3-5 years’ work experience with social justice, faith community or faith groups.
- Demonstrated experience in grassroots organizing, including familiarity with a diverse range of organizing strategies and tactics.
- Experience in training and facilitation
- Excellent interpersonal and relational skills with ability to connect with persons and groups in diverse communities.
- Demonstrated understanding of systemic injustice and passion to engage faith communities in justice ministries.
- Excellent oral and written communication.
- Highly organized with ability to manage simultaneous projects.
Salary $55,000 annually depending on experience, retirement benefits, 22 days paid vacation, sick and personal leave, comprehensive medical, dental and accidental-death insurance; other benefits as outlined in the Employee Personnel Manual. This is a full-time exempt/salaried position.
The General Board of Church and Society is an equal opportunity employer and considers applicants for all positions without regard to race, color, age, gender, national origin, disability, sexual orientation or any other legally protected status.
Procedure and Deadline
To apply applicants must submit a cover letter, resume and writing sample.
Send to: AGS for Human Resources, email@example.com
The General Board of Church and Society
100 Maryland Ave NE
Washington, DC 20002
Incomplete applicant information will not be considered.
Position available immediately
Open until filled
No agencies please.