Careers and Internships
Church and Society is always looking for talented, passionate people to join the team. Please find information about job openings and internships below.
Information about internships with Church and Society can be found here.
Senior Executive Director of Communication and Development, General Board of Church and Society
The General Board of Church and Society (GBCS) of The United Methodist Church is the social justice and public policy agency of the denomination headquartered in the United Methodist Building on Capitol Hill in Washington, D.C. GBCS is responsible for seeking the mandate of The United Methodist Church, the implementation of the Social Principles.
The GBCS is in search of a highly skilled, creative and energetic senior executive director of communication and development. This person is expected to lead a team focused on building and shaping strategic communication and development for GBCS. The ideal candidate must have the ability to promote the unique voice and place of Church and Society for The United Methodist Church, ecumenical and coalition partners and the world.
The successful candidate must be a highly skilled and creative communicator with experience in leading communication, development and public relations teams. This person oversees communication and development utilizing administrative, management, planning and implementation skills. The Office of Communication and Development has oversight for development and communication relationships, data management, website, social and print media, and resources for internal UM audiences as well as public relationships.
Advancing and implementing the strategic plans in communication and development is a must. Excellent management, strong writing skills, maturity, resourcefulness, a collegial spirit with an energetic and creative team in a fast-paced atmosphere is needed.
The successful candidate will continue to build strong relationships and coordinate with constituencies, church agencies, and partner organizations to promote and interpret the church’s commitment to advocacy for justice.
Essential Job Functions:
- Plans and coordinates the overall communication and media strategy for GBCS. Oversees internal and external media platforms for GBCS including the website and all social media platforms. Planning and coordination of print resources is an important part of the communication strategy.
- Oversees planning and implementation of the development and relationship strategy with the General Secretary’s Office planning mailings, gatherings and events with constituents. Some travel is required.
- Plans, coordinates and implements GBCS resources for United Methodist events, annual conferences, central conferences and local churches. Strengthening relationships and resources by working with staff, constituents, UM boards and agencies and ecumenical and interfaith partners.
- Supervises team and communicates effectively with staff, constituents, agencies and partners.
- Prepares, and manages budgets, staff work plans and evaluation processes.
- Coordinates and produces e-newsletters, resources and materials to educate on contemporary social issues in the light of Christian faith, especially from the perspective of The United Methodist Church Social Principles and resolutions.
- Fulfills the Board’s Disciplinary mandate and interprets and promotes the Social Principles to The United Methodist Church.
- Creates religious and secular media publication strategies.
- Other duties as assigned
Required Skills and Experience:
• Bachelor’s degrees in communication, journalism, or public relations and knowledge of development and equivalent work experience.
• Excellent writing skills.
• Prefer 3-5 years of experience in strategic communication and development role with supervisory experience.
• Must be able to work effectively in a fast-paced communication environment.
• Must be able to work in Washington, D.C.
• Annual salary commensurate with a nonprofit senior level director of communication and development in the Washington, D.C., area. Benefits offered include pension, paid vacation, sick leave, comprehensive medical, dental and life insurance; other benefits as outlined in the Employee Personnel Manual. This is a fulltime, exempt position with 10-15 percent travel.
The General Board of Church and Society is an equal opportunity employer and considers applicants for all positions without regard to race, color, age, gender, national origin, disability, sexual orientation or any other legally protected status.
Send cover letter, resume and a writing sample by Thursday, Nov. 1, 2018, to The General Board of Church and Society Attn: Ms. Frances J. Roberts, Chief Human Resource Officer Send via email to firstname.lastname@example.org
Other United Methodist Agencies and Ministries
If you’re interested in working for The United Methodist Church, visit the career pages at our partner agencies, commissions, and administrative offices:
- The United Methodist Church’s Find A Job page
- General Board of Discipleship
- General Board of Global Ministries
- General Board of Higher Education and Ministry
- General Commission on Archives and History
- General Commission on Religion and Race
- General Commission on the Status and Role of Women
- General Commission on United Methodist Men
- General Council on Finance and Administration
- United Methodist Communications
- United Methodist Publishing House
- United Methodist Women
- Wespath Investments and Benefits