Register Now! Church and Society Conducts Virtual Three-day 2022 Called Seminar
Responding to ongoing wars and conflict across the world, Church and Society will host “Plowshare Vision: Peace to be Learned and Practiced” from November 1 - 3, 2022, on Zoom.
According to the Council on Foreign Relations, there are 27 ongoing conflicts worldwide. While there are crisis that receive attention on the evening news like the conflict in Ukraine, the war in Afghanistan, and the civil war in Ethiopia, there are also hundreds of millions of people who are living in the midst of war and conflict that do so without international attention.
Inscribed in the rotunda of the United Methodist Building are these words from Isaiah 2:4, “they will beat their swords into plowshares and their spears into pruning hooks.” This verse is part of a vision that imagines Judah and Jerusalem as a gathering place, where the nations meet to learn the ways of peace. It serves as a reminder that peace does not arrive on its own but must be learned and practiced.
Join us for this three-day series to: (1) engage with experts and practitioners on the root causes of conflict; (2) learn about the methods and means to peacebuilding and preventing recurrences in conflict; (3) delve into a theological grounding on peacebuilding; and (4) learn how United Methodists have been participating in global peacebuilding efforts.
Church and Society invites you to participate in four sessions over three days in its 2022 Called Seminar, “Plowshare Vision: Peace to be Learned and Practiced” from November 1-3, 2022.
Each session requires a separate registration.
All sessions will be held on Zoom. Closed captions will be available for all the sessions. Register to receive links to the recorded webinar and resources mentioned by our speakers.
Four Session line-up:
(1) Why Plowshares? A Theological Framework for Peace Webinar. Register Here.
- Date: November 1, 2022
- Time: 1 PM - 2 PM (ET)
- Speaker: David Wildman, Executive Secretary for Human Rights and Racial Justice, General Board of Global Ministries, United Methodist Church
(2) Global Conflict Local Peace Webinar. Register Here.
- Date: November 2, 2022
- Time: 10 AM - 11:15 AM (ET)
- Speaker: Susanna P. Campbell, Associate Professor at the School of International Service (SIS), Director of the Research on International Policy Implementation Lab (RIPIL) at American University
(3) Methods and Means for Peacebuilding (Panel Discussion). Register Here.
- Date: November 2, 2022
- Time: 1 PM - 2:30 PM (ET)
- Peter Mandaville, Senior Advisor for Religion and Inclusive Societies, United States Institute for Peace (USIP)
- Elizabeth Hume, Executive Director, Alliance for Peacebuilding
- Paul Turner, President, and Executive Director, The Fund for Peace
(4) UMC Response: Peacebuilding and the United Methodist Church Webinar. Register Here.
- Date: November 3, 2022
Time: 1 PM - 2 PM (ET)
Speaker: Holly Metcalf, Director of Peace with Justice, General Board of Church and Society, United Methodist Church
For more information, please contact Aimee Hong, Senior Executive Director of Education and Engagement, email email@example.com