Action Alert: Tell Congress to Call for a Ceasefire in Israel and Palestine
This new action alert calls for ceasefire, de-escalation, and restraint by all involved.
As the war in Gaza resumes after a weeklong ceasefire and violence continues in the West Bank, Church and Society joins other faith communities calling for a re-instated ceasefire, de-escalation, and restraint amid the violence between Israel and Hamas and ongoing Israeli bombardment of Gaza.
We also join the United Methodist Council of Bishops, who in a statement condemned the recent attacks in the region, grieved the loss of life, and called for the immediate release of all hostages. We pray for the innocent civilians, many of them children, who have been caught in the crossfire. We also pray for those who remain trapped in harm’s way in Gaza.
As we pray, we must also remain steadfast in our witness for peace.
As United Methodists, “We believe war is incompatible with the teachings and example of Christ… As disciples of Christ, we are called to love our enemies, seek justice, and serve as reconcilers of conflict. We insist that the first moral duty of all nations is to work together to resolve by peaceful means every dispute that arises between or among them.” (United Methodist Social Principles 165.C) The Book of Resolutions (2016) also states, “We seek for all people in the Middle East region an end to military occupation, freedom from violence, and full respect for the human rights of all under international law.”
Church and Society has joined with United Methodist and ecumenical partners in calling on the U.S. government to:
- Support an immediate ceasefire, de-escalation, and restraint by all involved.
- Ensure immediate and adequate access to and provision of humanitarian needs.
- Press all parties to abide by the Geneva Conventions and customary international law.
- Demilitarize the conflict by withholding further arms shipments.
- Negotiate the immediate release of all civilians being held hostage and ensure international protection for all civilians, including Palestinian civilians in Gaza and the West Bank.
You can raise your voice for peace now. Contact your elected leaders today through the form below and ask them to support a ceasefire and humanitarian efforts to alleviate the suffering.