National Religious Partnership for the Environment Meets with Bi-partisan House Select Committee on Climate Crisis
Faith Leaders and Members of Congress Work Toward Responsible Climate Legislation
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Washington, D.C. – The General Board of Church and Society (GBCS) of the United Methodist Church (UMC) announced that religious leaders for the Board of the National Religious Partnership for the Environment (NRPE) met with House Representatives on Capitol Hill to build bridges for the care of creation and climate justice.
Leaders representing Protestant, Roman Catholic, Evangelical and Jewish faiths discussed a myriad of environmental complexities and climate related issues with the House Select Committee on Climate Crisis. The Committee members expressed appreciation for the work of faith leaders in helping them get responsible legislation passed.
“The conversation was remarkably honest, in-depth and appreciative,” said The Rev. Dr. Susan Henry-Crowe, GBCS General Secretary and member of NRPE. “It was very encouraging to hear House Select Committee Members on Climate Crisis express an appreciation for evidence-based science and a commitment to theological and biblical foundations for climate justice.” See photo of group.
Members of the Board of The National Religious Partnership for the Environment include:
• Rabbi Daniel Swartz - Coalition on Jewish Life and the Environment
• Dan Misleh - Catholic Climate Covenant
• Henry Glynn - Catholic Climate Covenant
• The Rev. Dr. Susan Henry-Crowe - United Methodist Church
• The Rev. Dr. Galen Carey - National Association of Evangelicals
• The Rev. Mitch Hescox - The Evangelical Environment Network
• The Rev. Dr. Jessica Moerman – The Evangelical Environmental Network
• Ms. Cassandra Carmichael - The National Religious Partnership for the Environment
• Ms. Marianne Comfort - Sisters of Mercy
Members of the Bi-partisan House Select Committee on Climate Crisis include:
• Representative Kathy Castor – Florida (14th District) * Chair
• Representative Gary Palmer – Alabama (6th District)
• Representative Garret Graves – Louisiana (6th District)
• Representative Suzanne Bonamici – Oregon (1st District)
• Representative Donald McEachin – Virginia (4th Distict)
*The General Board of Church & Society (GBCS) is an international general program board of The United Methodist Church (UMC). Prime responsibility of the board is to advocate for the Social Principles and other policy statements on Christian social concerns of the United Methodist Church worldwide. The board’s primary areas of ministry are Advocacy, Organizing, Education & Leadership Formation, United Nations & International Affairs. It has offices on Capitol Hill in Washington, D.C., and at the Church Center for the United Nations in New York City. Visit the website at www.umcjustice.org *
Contact: Jeffrey Corey, email@example.com (202) 488-5630