Start date: Immediate
Location: Washington, DC
About the United Methodist Church – General Board of Society: The General Board of Church and Society (GBCS) of The United Methodist Church is the public policy agency of the United Methodist Church. With offices on Capitol Hill and at the United Nations, GBCS advocates for the United Methodist Church’s social teachings to impact public policy.
The General Board of Church and Society mobilizes and educates United Methodists across the U.S. and around the world to engage in faithful civic action in order to make a more just and peaceful world. GBCS broad areas of concern are world peace, climate change, immigration, health care access, and eradicating poverty.
The UMC General Board of Church and Society seeks an experienced communications manager to drive marketing and communications efforts in support of programmatic growth, fundraising initiatives, and content creation. The Communications Manager is responsible for overseeing the digital marketing strategy for the organization, including developing and implementing social media strategy and content, and managing email marketing and website content. This role reports directly to the Communications Director and is an ideal position for a person with strong digital marketing experience, bold ideas, and excellent strategic thinking skills.
- Develop copy and content for communications campaigns in order to tell GBCS’s story across a variety of platforms, including the website, social media, email, and other marketing materials;
- Maintain regular content updates to website;
- Develop, design, and deliver email campaigns, including list management and segmentation;
- Manage GBCS’s social media accounts with the goal of increasing audience, engagement, and brand awareness;
- Prepare performance reports that analyze traffic and trends with respect to our digital efforts and make recommendations for actionable next steps;
- Maintain basic organizational materials such as print orders, signage, business cards;
- Perform basic office duties such as invoice up-keeping, thorough archiving of all communications materials, database maintenance, etc.;
- Collaborate on a variety of special projects with members of departments across the organization, as needed;
- Support other Communications projects as needed.
Skills and Characteristics
- Deadline-oriented, comfortable operating with a sense of urgency while also maintaining an eye for detail and quality;
- An autonomous self-starter and problem-solver with a strong work ethic who thrives within a dynamic, small team
- Superior writing and editing skills; In-depth knowledge of best practices for social media marketing;
- Strength in email marketing (EveryAction preferred); Experience managing email campaigns, including designing emails and segmenting target audiences;
- Proficiency in managing a CMS; Basic knowledge of HTML, CSS, and SEO; Experience using Adobe Creative Suite, including InDesign, Photoshop, and Illustrator;
- Excellent project management skills, eager to collaborate with a diverse staff;
- Adaptable and flexible, excited to engage in high-level strategy;
- Excellent organizational and coordination skills, and a strong work ethic; able to manage multiple projects at the same time;
- A passion for social justice and public policy. A willingness to learn about The United Methodist Church and faith-based organizations is appreciated.
Educational Background and Work Experience
- Bachelor’s Degree (or equivalent work experience)
- 3-5 years of relevant work experience, consistently meeting or exceeding performance goals
Salary for this position is competitive and commensurate with experience, this is a full-time exempt position. Additionally, the General Board of Church and Society offers a comprehensive benefits package.
By Monday, March 2, 2020 send resume, cover letter, and writing sample to Frances Roberts at firstname.lastname@example.org.
The General Board of Church and Society is an equal opportunity employer and considers applicants for all positions without regard to race, color, age, gender, national origin, disability, sexual orientation or any other legally protected status.
No agencies please.